Mike Hauser Academy
Mike Hauser Academy FAQs and Business Site Partner Requirements
What is the Mike Hauser Academy?
- Students visit a variety of local STEM related employers over the course of the program.
- Students draw connections between the importance of studying STEM and the possibilities of future careers.
- Work-based learning helps students grasp STEM concepts through practical application.
- Students are transported to and from the worksite via school buses at local school bus stops.
- Daily agendas at each site vary but include a combination of the following:
- Math/ science lesson given by a credentialed math teacher (held in an onsite meeting room).
- Tours of the worksite while observing demonstrations (e.g., laboratory/ production facilities).
- Hands-on activities and projects with engineers/ professional staff to reinforce lessons.
- Informational interviews with staff.
View the Mike Hauser Academy 2015 Program Report [PDF] for more information including pre- and post-Academy survey results and what students had to say about the Academy.
When is the Mike Hauser Academy?
- June 6th through June 24th, 2016, except for Healdsburg which runs June 13th through July 1st. Each weekday from 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- The Academy Completion Ceremony will be held on June 24th, 2016 at Sonoma State University
What does it require to be a business site partner?
- Commitment of 2- 5 days to host students on-site from 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
- Meeting room (arranged classroom setting) to accommodate 20-30 students.
- Staff person(s) assigned to collaborate with the instructor in advance to align curriculum with student activities for interesting and engaging plans (i.e., presentations, interviews, hands-on projects, tours).
- Company swag for students (if available).
- Provide students mid-morning snack and healthy lunch before bus pick up each day.
To get involved, contact Brandon Jewell at (707) 545-1118.
Thank you to the Academy's 2015 partners and host businesses:
Healdsburg Chamber of Commerce
Rohnert Park Chamber of Commerce
Sebastopol Area Chamber of Commerce
Cotati - Rohnert Park Unified School District
Forestville Union School District
Healdsburg Unified School District
Oak Grove Union School District
Roseland Public Schools
Santa Rosa City Schools
Sebastopol Union Schools
Twin Hills Union School District
West Sonoma County Union High School District
City of Healdsburg - Fire Department and Police Department
City of Rohnert Park
City of Santa Rosa - Utilities Department
Costeaux French Bakery
E and M Electric & Machinery, Inc.
Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District
Graton Community Services District
Harmony Farm Supply
Innovative Molding, Inc.
Mac Thin Films
Northrop Grumman Corporation
Pacific Gas & Electric
Persinger Architects and Associates
PNI Sensor Corporation
Sonoma County Water Agency
Sonoma Jet Center
St. Joseph Health Sonoma County