Mike Hauser Academy FAQs & Business Host Requirements
What is the Mike Hauser Academy?
The Mike Hauser Academy offers Sonoma County's rising ninth grade English Language Learner students the opportunity to visit various Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) related companies for a direct learning experience applying classroom math/science concepts to workplace projects, activities and roles. This Academy is designed to motivate students as they enter high school and begin making important course decisions by exposing students to diverse work environments and engaging them in interactive, hands-on learning guided by teachers, engineers, and technical experts. The Academy is devoted to strengthening the math and science skills in addition to inspiring students to pursue higher education and careers in the fields of STEM.
Where does the Mike Hauser Academy take place?
Academy classes are held at local companies and businesses where STEM concepts can be applied to daily activities. Classes are held in Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Rohnert Park and Sebastopol.
When is the Mike Hauser Academy?
- The Academy runs Monday – Thursday, June 12th – June 29th, 2017 8:30am – 1:30pm
- Graduation Ceremony will be held on June 30th, 2017 at Sonoma State University
What time is drop off and pick up?
- Students are transported to and from each host worksite via school bus at their local school bus stops.
- Students arrive by school bus at the host worksite at 8:30am and are picked up at 1:30pm.
What activities will be planned?
- Math/ science lesson given by a credentialed math teacher (held in an onsite meeting room).
- Tours of the worksite while observing demonstrations (laboratory/production facilities).
- Hands-on activities and projects with engineers/professional staff that reinforce lessons.
- Informational interviews with staff.
What does it require to be a business host?
- Commitment of 2- 4 days to host students on-site from 8:30 AM – 1:30 PM.
- Meeting room to accommodate 15-30 students (classroom setting).
- Staff person(s) to collaborate with the instructor in advance to plan interesting and engaging student activities that align with lesson plans (i.e., presentations, hands-on projects, tours).
- Staff person(s) to participate in informational interviews with students.
- If available, provide company-branded merchandise for student giveaways.
- Provide students mid-morning snack and healthy lunch each day.
For more information please contact Ananda Sweet at the Santa Rosa Metro Chamber: firstname.lastname@example.org or (707) 636-3662.